Current Affairs, a part of General Knowledge, play a phenomenal role in any competitive examination since every department, whether it is a public sector or a private sector, it wants its employees to be updated with the latest happenings around the world. Consider a person working in a bank and don’t know about the current CRR. What a shame it would be! That is why In every competitive entrance exam current affairs are asked from different sectors around the world.
If you are an aspirant, then you are required to go through at least the current affairs that took place 6 months before the exam you are appearing for. We provide such current affairs which are important form the exam point of view regularly. So, keep preparing with us.
1. Ratan Tata conferred with ‘Global Agriculture Leadership Award 2016
- The Indian council of Food and Agriculture (ICFA) bestowed “Global Agriculture Leadership Award 2016” to Interim Chairman of Tata sons, Ratan Tata, in Mumbai (Maharashtra). He was conferred with the award for his exceptional role in scaling Tata Group as the globally admired group during 20 years as chairman.
2. Union government extended e-Tourist visa for 161 countries citizens under e-Tourist Visa Scheme.
- The Union Minister of State for Tourism & Culture (Independent Charge) Mahesh Sharma has announced that the union govt. has extended the facility of e-Tourist Visa Scheme for 161 countries citizens.
3. Assam starts project to make Majuli India’s first ever carbon neutral district by 2020
- This will enable landscape planning for reducing emissions and improving forest health of Majuli.
All these activities shall lead to Majuli being a Carbon Neutral District by 2020
4.Andhra Pradesh records 5% more growth than all India rate
- Andhra Pradesh has registered 5% more growth in comparison to all India growth rate of the first half during the year 2016-17.
A detailed roadmap was laid to achieve targeted growth rate of 15.28%.
- The Chief minister of Andhra Pradesh Mr. Naidu has congratulated the Energy department on their outstanding performance.
5. Punjab to provide free LPG to BPL families missed in SECC 2011
- Punjab will provide free LPG connections to those BPL families who were missed in the 2011 Socio-Economic Caste Census on the lines of Pradhan Mantri Ujwala Yojana.
A decision to this effect was taken at a Cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal.
6. Kochi to get India’s first transgender school.
- Sahaj International School in Kochi will be the first residential transgender school in the country and it will be inaugurated on 30th December 2016.
- The school will initially accommodate ten transgender children, who will study under the National Open School system.
7. US Federal Reserve raises interest rates for the second time in a decade
- The US Federal Reserve has raised its benchmark interest rate by 0 (point) 25%, first time in 2016.
The bank has voted unanimously to raise the key rate to a range of 0.5% to 0.75%, citing a stronger economic growth and rising employment.
8. India & ASEAN set target of $100 billion trade to be achieved by 2020
- India and ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) have set a target of trading at 100 billion dollars to be achieved by 2020.
Currently, the trade between ASEAN and India is 57 billion.
- ASEAN and India will celebrate its 25th anniversary in 2017, which will be attended by the head of states of all the ASEAN countries.
9. Bangladesh celebrating 45th anniversary of victory over Pakistan.
- Today, Bangladesh is celebrating 45 years of its emergence as a new country on the map of the world on 16th December in 1971 after nine-month long 1971 Liberation War against Pakistan.
The country is recalling the sacrifices of more than 3 million martyrs.
- On this day, the Chief of Pakistani Army General AAK Niazi along with 93,000 Pakistani troops surrendered to the allied forces of Mukti Fouz and Indian Army at Ramna Suhrawardy Udyan in Dhaka following a defeat.
10.Indian-American woman elected as Mayor of Californian city.
- An Indian-American woman Savita Vaidhyanathan has been elected as the new Mayor of the key Californian city of Cupertino.
Vaidhyanathan is an MBA who worked as a high school Math teacher and an officer in a commercial bank as well as in non-profit management.
- According to Forbes, she is one of the most educated small towns in the country with local public schools ranking highly.
11. Govt appoints Sunil Arora as IICA Director General
- An IAS officer Sunil Arora (1980-batch Rajasthan cadre) has been appointed as the Director General(DG) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs (IICA).
- Presently, Mr Arora serving as an adviser at Prasar Bharati.